One of the biggest dangers over Easter, especially for dogs, is chocolate. With your home probably stuffed full of Easter eggs it is extremely important to keep them out of eating reach of your pets. A tiny chunk is likely to be ok, but anything more could be a problem especially if they have also consumed foil or even plastic toys.
Occasionally accidents do happen, and side effects from eating chocolate usually present themselves within 4-24 hours. If your dog has eaten chocolate, you may see the following symptoms:
- Vomiting (may include blood)
- Restlessness and hyperactivity
- Rapid breathing
- Muscle tension, incoordination
- Increased heart rate
Remember if you suspect that your dog has eaten chocolate do not hesitate to contact your vet for advice, it will help them to know what type of chocolate they have eaten and when they ate it.
Everyone (almost) loves a Hot-Cross Bun. They are extremely yummy to us and also to your pets but not very good for them. These Easter treats contain raisins, currants and sultanas – all of which are toxic to dogs. Please always call your veterinary surgery if you suspect your pet has eaten food containing raisins as eating only a small amount can cause problems for some pets.
As always, extreme caution is needed with lilies as the pollen can cause renal failure in cats. Signs and symptoms to look out for are:
- Loss of appetite
- Increased urination followed by lack of urination
If you suspect that your cat may have eaten any part of a lily plant or even just chewed on a leaf please seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.
If you suspect your pets have eaten any of the above please seek veterinary advice as soon as possible.
Finally, we wish you all a happy, fun filled and safe Easter!